The Southern Baptist Research Fellowship organized in a meeting on June 28, 1977. The organizational meeting was the climax of a two day conference held at the Baptist Building, Dallas, Texas, on June 27-28, 1977.
The following purpose was approved by the group present:
- To contribute to the development of a more comprehensive understanding of the scientific study of religion, church and denomination.
- To stimulate the development of basic research skills through the sharing of research efforts and data bases.
- To further the understanding of the role of research in the life of Southern Baptist agencies, institutions and related bodies.
- To promote maximum use and the practical application of religious research in the development of programs.
(Excerpts from SBRF Original Minutes)
- Leonard Irwin, Chairman – HMB
- J. V. Thomas, Secretary – BGCT
Most Recent Presidents:
- Bill Day – NOBTS
- Jim Haney – IMB
- Paula Hancock – LifeWay Resources
- Mickey Crawford – Alabama Baptist
- Richie Stanley – NAMB
- Minh Ha Nguyen, President – IMB
- Patrick Weaver, Program Vice-President – NOBTS
- Chris Forbes, Membership Vice-President – Oklahoma Baptists
- Jeffrey Farmer, Secretary-Treasurer – NOBTS
- Bill Day, Awards Chairperson – NOBTS
- Richie Stanley, Emeritus – NAMB
- State Conventions and Associations
- International Mission Board
- North American Mission Board
- Executive Committee
- Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission
- GuideStone Financial Resources
- LifeWay Christian Resources
- Theological Seminaries
- Woman’s Missionary Union