Who Is SBRF
ARTICLE I – NAME
The name of the organization shall be The Southern Baptist Research Fellowship.
ARTICLE II – PURPOSES AND OBJECTIVES
The purpose of this organization is to provide an informal forum for Southern Baptists with professional interests in and/or assignments for religious research.
The objectives of this Fellowship are:
- To contribute to the development of a more comprehensive understanding of the scientific study of religion, church and denomination;
- To stimulate the development of basic research skills through the sharing of research efforts and data bases;
- To further the understanding of the role of research skills through the sharing of research efforts and data bases;
- To promote maximum use and the practical application of religious research in the work of the conventions and their agencies, associations, and local churches, particularly in development and evaluation of programs;
- To provide a supporting fellowship for members and to give recognition for outstanding professional achievement.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. Members
The members of the Fellowship shall be, upon receipt of annual dues,
- Interested employees of any Southern Baptist church, association, state convention agency, or convention agency engaged in the work of religious research or statistics;
- Interested employees of any Southern Baptist church, association, state convention agency, or convention wide agency whose work includes the use of religious research or statistics; or
- Other interested Southern Baptists whose work relates to the execution or use of religious research or statistics.
Section 2. Charter Members
A charter member of the Fellowship is any person enrolled as a member before the end of June, 1979.
ARTICLE IV – OFFICERS
Section 1. Officers
The officers of the Fellowship shall be the president, the program vice-president, the membership vice-president, the newsletter editor/web coordinator, the secretary-treasurer, and the awards chairperson. The term for all offices shall be two years.
Section 2. Election
The officers shall be elected at an annual meeting of the Fellowship. In case of a vacancy between the annual meetings, the Administrative Committee shall appoint a person to fulfill the unexpired term.
ARTICLE V – DUTIES OF THE OFFICERS
The duties of the offices shall be as follows:
- President: The president will preside at all regular and called meetings, serve as chairperson of the Administrative Committee, serve as an ex officio member of all committees, and perform other duties required of the office.
- Program Vice-President: The program vice-president shall preside at the meetings of the Fellowship as requested by the president and shall serve as chairperson of the program committee. The program vice-president will automatically succeed the president.
- Membership Vice-President: The membership vice-president will serve as chairperson of the membership enlistment committee.
- Newsletter Editor/Web Coordinator: The Research News Bulletin editor will be responsible for editing and distributing a research news bulletin. As Web Coordinator, coordinate SBRF web presence on the Web including hosting, design, content, and technical issues; serve as chairperson of the web committee.
- Secretary-Treasurer: The secretary-treasurer shall keep all records and care for all fund of the Fellowship. An annual audit report shall be made to the Fellowship.
- Awards Chairperson: The awards chairperson shall serve as chairperson of the awards committee.
ARTICLE VI – COMMITTEES
Section 1. Standing Committees
The standing committees of the Fellowship shall be as follows:
- Administrative Committee: The Administrative Committee shall be composed of all of the officers of the Fellowship. It shall act for the Fellowship between sessions.
- Program Committee: The Program Committee shall be composed of a chairperson and two members named by the Administrative Committee. It shall develop and publicize agendas for annual and special meetings of the Fellowship.
- Membership Committee: The Membership Committee shall be composed of a chairperson and two members named by the Administrative Committee. It shall actively recruit members for the Fellowship in keeping with the constitutional provisions.
- Awards Committee: The Awards Committee shall be composed of a chairperson and two members named by the Administrative Committee. It shall supervise an awards program in recognition of outstanding professional achievements of the members.
- Web Committee: The Web Committee shall be composed of a chairperson and two members named by the Administrative Committee. The Web Committee shall coordinate all aspects of SBRF presence on the Web.
Section 2. Ad Hoc Committees
Ad Hoc Committees may be appointed by the president on approval of the Administrative Committee and/or the Fellowship.
ARTICLE VII – MEETINGS
- Annual meeting: The Fellowship will hold an annual meeting at a place and time to be recommended by the Administrative Committee. The meeting sites should be reasonably accessible and economical. The time and place may be changed by the Administrative Committee, provided all members are notified at least thirty (30) days in advance.
- Budget for annual meeting: The Administrative Committee shall budget an amount of money for the annual meeting in time for the program Committee to take it in consideration in its planning.
- Special meetings: The Fellowship may vote any special meeting of the group, or the Administrative Committee may call special meetings, provided all members are notified in advance.
ARTICLE VIII – FINANCES
- An annual budget shall be prepared by the Administrative Committee.
- An annual audit of the secretary-treasurer’s report shall be prepared by an Audit Committee to be appointed by the president and approved by the Administrative Committee.
- Membership dues shall be determined by the fellowship, with annual review by the Administrative Committee.
ARTICLE IX – CONSTITUTION AND BY-LAW CHANGES
The Constitution may be amended at annual meetings of the Fellowship, provided at least two-thirds of all members present approve the changes. By-laws may be added or amended by a simple majority of all members present at the meeting.
As amended 6/9/1990; 9/19/2003; area in gray adopted 9/18/2009
State Board of Missions of the Alabama Baptist State Convention
PO Box 11870
Montgomery AL 36111
Phone: (334) 613-2281
Currently Unfilled Program Vice-President
Angie Bauman, Associate Professor of Christian Education Membership Vice-President
New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
Atlanta GA Campus
Phone: (770) 321-1606 x5
Clay Price, Information Analyst, Decision Support Interim Secretary-Treasurer
Baptist General Convention of Texas
7557 Rambler Road Suite 1200
Dallas TX 75231-2388
Phone: (214) 395-7080 (cell)
Lloyd Rodgers Awards Chairperson
International Mission Board
PO Box 6767
Richmond, VA 23230-0767
Phone: (804) 263-4221 (cell)
Richie Stanley, Center for Missional Research Newsletter Editor/Web Coordinator
North American Mission Board
12989 S 184th Ave
Goodyear, AZ 85338
Phone: (770) 401-4572
|Full Name||E-mail Address||Company|
|Carol Childressfirstname.lastname@example.org||FrameWorks Consulting|
|Robert Cochranemail@example.com||DC Baptist Convention|
|Mickey Crawfordfirstname.lastname@example.org||Alabama Baptist Convention|
|Tom Critesemail@example.com||Georgia Baptist Convention|
|Ray Phillip Daltonfirstname.lastname@example.org||Carson-Newman College|
|Bill Dayemail@example.com||New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary|
|John W. Dowdy Jr.||firstname.lastname@example.org||Retired–Missouri Baptist Convention|
|Josh Ellisemail@example.com||Union Baptist Association|
|Ted Evansfirstname.lastname@example.org||Retired–South Carolina Baptist Convention|
|Michelle Freudenthalemail@example.com||LifeWay Christian Resources|
|Keith Gordonfirstname.lastname@example.org||Mississippi Baptist Convention|
|Paula Hancockemail@example.com||Lifeway Christian Resources|
|Norma Hedin||Southwestern Bapt. Theo. Seminary|
|Scott Holstefirstname.lastname@example.org||International Mission Board, SBC|
|J.W. Hutchensemail@example.com||Retired–North American Mission Board, SBC|
|Mark Jeffcoat||South Carolina Bapt. Conv.|
|Phil Jonesfirstname.lastname@example.org||Retired–North American Mission Board, SBC|
|Lindsay Peckemail@example.com||Kansas/Nebraska Conv, Interim Dir of Missions|
|James Lowryfirstname.lastname@example.org||Retired–LifeWay Christian Resources|
|Don Mabryemail@example.com||Retired–Louisiana Baptist Convention|
|Jeffrey Farmerfirstname.lastname@example.org||LifeTree Church|
|Jared Maieremail@example.com||Baylor PhD graduate|
|Robert Mathis||RMathis@swbts.edu||Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary|
|Scott McConnellfirstname.lastname@example.org||LifeWay Christian Resources|
|Orrin Morrisemail@example.com||Retired–Home Mission Board, SBC|
|Minh Ha Nguyenfirstname.lastname@example.org||International Mission Board, SBC|
|Earl Noblesemail@example.com||LifeWay Christian Resources|
|Jay Nohfirstname.lastname@example.org||Illinois Baptist State Association|
|Bryan Nowalkemail@example.com||Georgia Baptist Convention|
|Carol Olsenfirstname.lastname@example.org||SBTS graduate now living in Plano TX|
|Stephen Parksemail@example.com||Unity Baptist Association|
|Bobby Boxfirstname.lastname@example.org||International Mission Board, SBC|
|Scott Petersonemail@example.com||International Mission Board, SBC|
|Jimmy Porterfirstname.lastname@example.org||Mississippi Baptist Convention|
|Clay Priceemail@example.com||Baptist General Convention of Texas|
|Gus Reyesfirstname.lastname@example.org||Baptist General Convention of Texas|
|Royce Rose||Baptist General Convention of Texas|
|Daniel Sanchez||Dsanchez@swbts.edu||Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary|
|A. Clark Scanlonemail@example.com||Retired–International Mission Board, SBC|
|Jimmie Sheffieldfirstname.lastname@example.org||Arkansas Baptist State Convention|
|James B. Slackemail@example.com||International Mission Board, SBC|
|Ebbie Smith||Smith_ebbie@yahoo.com||Retired-Southwestern Bapt. Theo. Seminary|
|Jeanine Bozemanfirstname.lastname@example.org||New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary|
|Daryl Staggemail@example.com||Lake County Baptist Association (IL) DOM|
|Richie Stanleyfirstname.lastname@example.org||North American Mission Board, SBC|
|Ken Sterlingemail@example.com||New Zion Baptist Church|
|Ed Stetzerfirstname.lastname@example.org||LifeWay Christian Resources|
|Terri Stovallemail@example.com||Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary|
|Cliff Tharpfirstname.lastname@example.org||Retired–LifeWay Christian Resources|
|J.V. Thomasemail@example.com||Retired–Baptist General Convention of Texas|
|Sam Vinallfirstname.lastname@example.org||Retired–Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma|
|Curt Watkeemail@example.com||Center for Intercultural Leadership|
|Rodney Webbfirstname.lastname@example.org||Intercultural Institute for Contextual Ministry|
|J.C. Bradley||Central Baptist Association|
|Michael Wilsonemail@example.com||Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary|
|William Yountfirstname.lastname@example.org||Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary|
|Ed Buchananemail@example.com||Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary|
|Michael Canady||Louisiana Baptist Convention|
|Jerry Chamnessfirstname.lastname@example.org||CAA Ministries|
- SBC national agencies
- State conventions
- Supporter fellowship
- Sharing of research efforts
- Further development of research skills
- Recognition of outstanding research by Southern Baptist students through the Researcher of the Year Award
(For more information about our award, click here)
For membership inquiries, click here.